Saraswatharishtam or Saraswatharishta is an ayurvedic alcoholic preparation. It is said that Lord Dhanwanthari has prepared this medicine considered equivalent to Ambrosia for the benefit of his disciples. Saraswatharishtam contains Swarna (gold). It is an excellent medicine which improves mental abilities and also enhances virility. Saraswatharishtam is the best medicine which works for brain functions like memory, intellect, speech problems etc… It has many indications.
Ingredients of Saraswatharishtam
Madhura dravya (sweetening substances)
- Madhu(Honey) – 10 pala (480 gms)
- Sita/(Sugar candy) – 25 pala (1200 gms)
Drava Dravya (Liquid materials)
- Brahmi panchanga (all 5 parts of Bacopa monnieri) – 20 pala (960 gms)
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) – 5 pala (240 gms)
- Vidaarikanda (Pueraria tuberosa) – 5 pala (240 gms)
- Hareetaki (Terminalia chebula) – 5 pala (240 gms)
- Ushira (Vetiveria zizanioides) – 5 pala (240 gms)
- Ardraka (Zingiber officinalis) – 5 pala (240 gms)
- Mishi (Foeniculum vulgare) – 5 pala (240 gms)
- Jala (water) – 1 drona (12.288 liters)
Prakshepa choorna (powders to be added)
- Dhataki pushpa (Woodfordia fruticosa) – 5 pala (240 gms)
- Harenu/Renuka (seeds of Vitex Negundo) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Trivrut (Operculina Turpethum) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Kana/Pippali (Piper longum) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Devapushpa/Lavanga (Syzygium Aromaticum) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Kushta (Saussurea lappa) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Vajigandha/Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Amruta/Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Twak (Cinnamon tamala) – 1 karsha (12 gms)
- Hema Patra/Gold foils – 1 karsha (12 gms)
Saraswatharishtam preparation :
On the auspicious Ravi pushyayoga day one has to get up at brahmi muhurta. After finishing all the routine work like bath praying etc… one has to pluck the Brahmi plant including all the parts (root, bark, leaf, flower, and fruit).
Then the specified quantity of Brahmi along with Shatavari, vidarikanda, Abhaya, Usheera, Ardrak, and Mishi are combined together. This mixture has to be mixed along with 1 drona (12.288 liters) of water and boiled to prepare the decoction. The water content has to be reduced to 1/4th of the quantity by heating on mild fire. Once the water content is reduced to the prescribed quantity then it has to be filtered and kept.
Then the decoction is transferred to a ghee smeared earthen vessel. The powdered ingredients are added along with jaggery and sugar candy along with gold foils with prescribed quantity. This mixture has been kept sealed in an airtight room for a month. After a month it has to filter and used.
Indication of Saraswatharishtam
- Ayu Vardhaka – Increases lifespan
- Veerya Vardhaka – Increases potency
- Smruti Vardhaka – Boosts memory
- Medha Vardhaka – Boosts intelligence
- Bala Vardhaka – Increases strength
- Kanti Vardhaka – Increases complexion
- Vak vishuddhikara – Improves speech
- Hrudya -Good for heart
- Rasayana – Excellent rejuvenator
- Balakanaam Hita – Good for Kids
- Yunaam Hita – Good for adults
- Vruddhanaam Hita – Good for elder people
- Nara Nari Hita – Good for men and women
- Param Ojoskara – Excellent for improving Ojus or immunity.
- Swara karkasha hara – Corrects the hoarseness of voice
- Aspashta bashana hara – Corrects the improper speech
- Swarya – Improves voice
- Rajodosha hara – Cleanses the female reproductive system
- Shukradoshahara – Cleans the male reproductive system
- Sarvadoshahara – Clears all the diseases.
- Atyadhyayana – Good for the one who reads more
- Ati gayana – Good for the one who sings
- Ksheena smruti – Good for the one who has less memory
- Ksheena Bala – Good for the one who has less strength
- Chitta santhosha- Keeps mind in excellent condition
- Smruti – Improves memory power
- In classical books, it is mentioned as 1 Shana.
- In general 15 – 30 ml once or twice or as directed by the physician.
- Bhaishajya Ratnavali Rasayana Prakarana – 73/182/196