Chitrakadi Vati – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Chitrakadi Vati or Chitrakadi Gulika is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of a tablet. It is used in treating digestive disorders. It helps in normalizing the peristaltic movements of the intestine, acts as antispasmodic, improves digestion, clears indigestion, etc…
Synonyms: Chitrakadi Bati, Chitrakadi Gulika, Chitrakadi Gutika, Chitrakadi tablet
Ingredients of Chitrakadi Vati:
- Chitraka (the root of Plumbago zeylanica) – 1 part
- Pippalimoola (root of Piper longum) – 1 part
- Kshara Dwaya
1. Yava Kshara (Alkali preparation of Hordeum vulgare) – 1 part
2. Swarjika Kshara (Sodium carbonate) – 1 part
- Saindhava (Chloride of Sodium) – 1 part
- Samudra Lavana (Sodi muris) – 1 part
- Sauvarcha lavana(Unaqua Sodium Chloride) – 1 part
- Romaka lavana (Sambhar Salt) – 1 part
- Bida Lavana (Ammonium Salt) – 1 part
- Shunti (Zingiber officinalis) – 1 part
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 1 part
- Pippali (Piper longum) – 1 part
- Hingu (Ferula asafoetida) – 1 part
- Ajamoda (Trachyspermum ammi) – 1 part
- Chavya (Piper chaba) – 1 part
- Matulunga Swarasa (juice of Citrus medica) – Quantity Sufficient.
- Dadima rasa (juice of Punica granatum) Quantity Sufficient.
Preparation of Chitrakadi Vati:
All the ingredients are taken and crushed to make powders. Then the powders are taken in the specified quantity and mixed together. Then this mixture is mixed with juices of dadima or matulunga and ground to make a paste. When the paste becomes thick pills are rolled out and dried in shade. Then the dried pills are stored for use.
Indications of Chitrakadi Vati
- Ama pachana (digests undigested food/toxins)
- Deepana (improves digestive capacity/kindles digestive fire)
Its also found beneficial in reducing excess fat accumulation.
Mode of use, Dosage, and Adjuvants
Chitrakadi Vati has generally advised 1-2 pills once or twice daily or as directed by the physician.
It is taken along with warm water as an adjuvant or matulunga swarasa or dadima swarasa.
- Bhaishajya Ratnavali Grahaniroga Chikitsa 8/26-27
- Yoga Ratanakara
Also read Chitrakasavam