Antrakutharam Gulika (Valiya) or Valiya Antrakutharam Gulika/Antragudaram Gulika is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of a tablet. The name ‘antra’ means intestine in Sanskrit. It is used mainly in intestine related diseases like chronic constipation, inguinal hernia, obstructive intestinal disorders, pain abdomen, abdominal tumor, edema, ascites, etc…It acts as an antispasmodic (antra shoolanashaka).
Ingredients of Antrakutharam Gulika (Valiya)
- Jatilinga/Hingula (Herbal processed Cinnabar) – 1 part
- Abhaya (Terminalia chebula) – 1 part
- Hingu (Asa foetida) – 1 part
- Saindhava Lavana (Rock salt) – 1 part
- Tankana (Purified borax) – 1 part
- Vacha (Acorus calamus) – 1 part
- Yavakshara (Kshara of Hordeum vulgare) – 1 part
- Kuberaksha beeja (Caesalpinia crista) – 1 part
- Lashuna (Allium sativum) – 1 part
- Tikshnavrikshabijam/Jayapala – Purified Croton tiglium – – 10 parts
- Nirgundi Swarasa (juice of Vitex negundo)
Preparation of Antrakutharam Gulika (Valiya)
All the ingredients are taken in the specified quantity and crushed to made powder. Then all the powders are mixed together and fresh juice of nirgundi is added and triturated till they attain a semisolid state. Then the pills are rolled out and dried under shade and stored for use.
Indication of Antragudaram Gulika (Valiya)
- Antra vriddhi (Enlargement of intestines)
- Udavarta (Upward movement of vata)
- Sarva shoola (Pain abdomen)
- Vibhanda (Constipation)
- Arshas (Hemorrhoid/piles)
- Gulma (Abdominal tumors)
- Sopha (Abdominal edema)
- Udara (Ascites)
Mode of use, Dosage, and Adjuvant
Antrakutharam Gulika is generally advised gunja pramana /1 – 2 pills (125-250mg) once or twice daily or as directed by the physician.
It is used internally with adjuvants like Ushnodaka (hot water), Guda (jaggery) and Ardraka swarasa (fresh juice of Zingiber officinale).
This medication has to be strictly taken under medical supervision.
- Sahasrayoga Gutika prakarana