Gandhak Vati – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Gandhak Vati is also known as Gandhaka Vati. It is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of a pill. It is used in treating various digestive disorders like decreased digestive power, tastelessness, indigestion, pain abdomen, worm infestation, irritable bowel syndrome, ama, abdominal tumors, upward movement of vata, etc…
Synonyms: Gandhaka Vati, Gandhak Bati, Raj Bati
Ingredients of Gandhak Vati
- Shuddha Parada (Purified and processed Mercury) – 1/2 pala (28 gms)
- Gandhaka (Purified and processed Sulphur) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Shunti Choorna (powder of Zingiber Officinalis) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Lavanga (Syzigium aromaticum) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Saindhava (Rock Salt) – 3 pala (144 gms)
- Suvarchala Lavana (Sochal salt) – 3 pala (144 gms)
- Chanakamla/chick pea (Cicer arietinum) – 2 pala (96 gms)
- Mulaka Kshara (alkali prepared from Raphanus sativus) – 2 pala (96 gms)
- Nimbuka swarasa/Lemon juice (Citrus limon) – quantity sufficient
Preparation of Gandhak Vati
All the ingredients are taken as a specified quantity mentioned. The materials which have to be purified are to be purified and processed. Then all the ingredients are powdered and mixed together. Then the lemon juice is added in sufficient quantity to the mixture and triturated well in a mortar and allowed to get dry. The trituration process has to be done for seven days by adding fresh lemon juice every day. Once it becomes semisolid after seven days of trituration the pills are rolled out in ‘badara’ fruit size. When the pills are dried can be stored in an airtight glass container for use.
Indication of Gandhak Vati
- Sarva Ajeerna (all types of Indigestion)
Mode of use, Dosage, and Adjuvants
Gandhak Vati has advised generally as 1 to 2 tablets once or twice daily or as directed by the physician.
It can be taken along with warm water or with suitable decoctions.
As this medicine contains heavy metals (mercury and sulfur) one must take it under the supervision of an ayurvedic doctor only.
- Bhaishajya Ratnavali- Agnimandhya Chikitsa Prakarana 10/241/244
- Rasa tantra sara
- Rasa yoga Sara