Kankayan Gutika– Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Kankayan Gutika or Kankayana Gulika is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of a tablet or pill. It is used in treating abdominal tumors, piles, cardiac diseases, digestive disorders, abdominal pain, etc…
In the ayurvedic books, we can get three reference for Kankayan Gutika with different ingredients with almost similar indications.
Synonyms : Kankayanam Gulika, Kankayana Vati, Kankayan Vati, Kankayan Gulika
Ingredients of Kankayan Gutika
- Shati (Hedychium spicatum) – 1 pala (48gms)
- Pushkaramoola (Inula racemosa) – 1 pala (48gms)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum) – – 1 pala (48gms)
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica) – 1 pala (48gms)
- Adhaki (Cajanus cajan) – 1 pala (48gms)
- Shringavera (Zingiber officinalis_ – 1 pala (48gms)
- Vacha ( Acorus calamus) – 1 pala (48gms)
- Trivrit (Operculina turpethum) – 1 pala (48gms)
- Hingu shodita (purified Asa foetida ) – 3 pala (144gms)
- Yavakshara (alkali prepared using Hordeum vulgare) – 2 pala (96gms)
- Amlavetasa (Garcinia pedunculata Roxb.) – 2 pala (96gms)
- Yavani – Hyoscyamus niger) – 1 karsha (12gms)
- Ajaji (Cuminum cyminum) – 1 karsha (12gms)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 1 karsha (12gms)
- Dhanyaka (Coriandrum sativum ) – 1 karsha (12gms)
- Upakunchika (Nigella sativa) – 1 karsha (12gms)
- Ajamoda (Trachyspermum ammi) – 1 karsha (12gms)
- Matulunga Swarasa (fresh juice of Citrus medica) – Q.S
Preparation of Kankayan Gutika
All the ingredients are powdered and taken in mentioned quantity and mixed with the juice of Citrus medica. Then this mixture is triturated for seven days and pills are rolled out (size of 4 Ratti – 500mgs). The pills are dried in the shade till it gets dried completely. The dried pills are stored in an airtight jar for use.
Indications of Kankayan Gutika
- Arshas (Piles/Haemorrhoids)
- Hrudroga (Cardiac Disorders)
- Krimi (Worm infestation)
- All types of Gulma (Abdominal tumor)
- Rakta Gulma (Bleeding disease)
Mode of Use, Dosage, and Adjuvants
Kankayan Gutika has advised 1 to 3 pills once or twice daily or as directed by the physician. It is generally taken along with warm water.
The pills are also taken along with the sour liquid, arista/asava, yusha, ghruta, ksheera (milk) depending on the dosha involved.
In chronic kaphaja gulma the tablet has to be taken with Gomutra (cows urine), In pitta gulma milk is advised, In Vata gulma Madya 0r sour liquids are to be used. In Tridoshaja gulma it has to be used with Triphala or gomutra and in rakta gulma, it has to be taken with the camel’s milk.
There is one more preparation with a similar name with different ingredients used in treating hemorrhoids or piles
Kankayanam Gulika (from Sahasrayoga)
Each pill is prepared out of :
- Pathy (Terminalia chebula) – 0.117 gms
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 0.023 gms
- Jiraka (Cuminum cyminum) – 0.023 gms
- Pippali (Piper longum) – 0.047 gms
- Pippalimula (root of Piper longum) – 0.070 gms
- Chavya (Piper mullesua) – 0.094 gms
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica) – 0.117 gms
- Nagaram (Zingiber officinale) – 0.141 gms
- Yavakshara (alkali prepared using Hordeum vulgare) – 0.047gms
- Bhallataka (purified Semecarpus Anacardium) – 0.188 gms
- Suranakanda ( Amorphophallus paeoniifolius) – 0.188 gms
- Guda (Jaggery) – 0.92 gms
Indication of Kankayanam Gulika
- Arshas – Hemorrhoids/Piles
Caution: As this combination contains Bhallataka and surana one should be careful while taking this medication as it may cause severe allergic reactions in some people. It should be avoided in pittaja and raktaja diseases.
Mode of Use, Dosage, and Adjuvants
It is generally advised 1 – 2 tablets once or twice daily or as directed by the physician. It is said to be taken with buttermilk as an adjuvant.
- Bhaishajya Ratnavali Gulmarogadhikara 32/68-74
- Shaarangadhara Samhita