Karutha Gulika – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Karutha Gulika or Sirasthoda Gulika is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of a tablet/pill. It is used to treat all types of headaches and lumbago as an external application.
Synonyms : Karutha Vattu, Karutha Vattu Tablet, Karuthavattu Tablet, Karutha Vattu Gulika
Ingredients of Karutha Gulika
- Kundurikka/Kunduruksha (Oleo gum resin of Boswellia Serrata) – 8 parts
- Chenninayaka/Kanya rasa (Aloe vera) – 6 parts
- Kannaram/Kathini (Silicate of Magnesia) – 3 parts
- Kandivenna- (excreta of newborn elephant) – 3 parts
- Sahasravedhi/Hingu (Ferula assafoetida) – 1 parts
Preparation of Karutha Gulika
All the ingredients are taken in the specified quantity and pounded with adding the juice of Aloe vera (Kattarvazharasam). Once all ingredients are mixed well they are rolled into pills and dried well in shade. The dried pills are stored in an airtight glass jar for use.
Indications of Karutha Gulika
- Sarva Shira shoola (all types of headache)
Mode of use, Dosage, and Adjuvants
Karutha Gulika is used as an external application. The pills are rubbed with various liquids and apply over the forehead in different types of headache.
- Vataja Shirashoola (Vata predominant headache) -Rub with Tila taila and apply.
- Pittaja Shirashoola (Pitta predominant headache) – Rub with Ghee and apply.
- Kaphaja Shirashoola (Kapha predominant headache)- Rub with Coconut milk and apply.