Chandanadi Varti – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Chandanadi Varti or Candanadi Vatri/Chandanadi Vati/Chandanadi Gulika is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of a tablet or Varti (Eye wick). It is used in treating various eye diseases with redness, swelling, and suppuration. This is used as an external application by grinding it with honey or breastmilk to make a paste and applied.
Ingredients of Chandanadi Varti/ Vati
- Chandana Dwaya
1. Shweta Chandana (Santalum album) – 1 part
2. Rakta Chandana (Pterocarpus santalinus) – 1 part
- Laksha (Laccifera laca) – 1 part
- Kataka (Styrchnos potatorum) – 1 part
- Peetarohini (Piccrohiza kurruo) – 1 part
- Jatimukula (Myristica fragrans) – 1 part
- Shithamshu (Cinnamomum camphora) – 1 part
- Gairika (Red ochre) – 1 part
Preparation of Chandanadi Varti/ Vati
All the ingredients are taken in the specified quantity and made into powder. Then all the powders are mixed together and ground with water. When it becomes a thick paste it is rolled as varti/eye wick. They are then dried under shade and stored for use.
Indications of Chandanadi Varti/ Vati
- Sarvakshi roga (all the eye diseases)
- Akshi Paka (suppuration in eyes)
- Akshi Shopa (swelling in eyes)
- Akshi lohitya (redness of eyes)
Mode of use, Dosage, and Adjuvant
Chandanadi Varti is ground with honey and applied to the eyes. It cures suppuration.
Along with breastmilk when it is applied it cures redness and swelling of the eyes.
It is used as an external application
- Arogya Kalpadruma – 33 (Netra Roga Chikitsa)