Gandhaka Rasayana – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Gandhaka Rasayana is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of a capsule, tablet, or lehyam. It is used in treating various chronic skin diseases & skin manifestations in autoimmune conditions including scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, increases virility, makes the body strong, makes digestive fire strong, cures itching, etc…
As the name suggests it is a rasayana (rejuvenation) medication usually used after purificatory procedures for better results.
Synonyms: Gandhak Rasayan, Gandhakaraja Rasayanam, Gandhaka Rasayana Vati
Ingredients of Gandhaka rasayana
- Sita (Saccharum officinarum) – 4.000 gms
- Shuddha Gandhaka (purified Sulphur) -1.000 gms
- Ghritam (Ghee) – 1.333 ml
- Ela (Elletaria cardamomum) – 1.600 gms
- Twak (Cinnamomum verum) – 1.600 gms
- Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) – 1.600 gms
- Nagakesara (Mesua ferrea ) – 1.600 gms
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) -1.600 gms
- Pathya (Terminalia chebula) – 1.600 gms
- Aksha (Terminalia bellirica) -1.600 gms
- Dhatri (Phyllanthus emblica) – 1.600 gms
- Aushadha/Shunti (Zingiber officinale) – 1.600 gms
- Bhringaraja (Eclipta prostrata) – 1.600 gms
- Ardraka (Zingiber officinale) – 4.000 ml
Preparation of Gandhaka Rasayana
The first gandhaka has to be purified according to the purificatory method explained in the ayurvedic texts. Then the gandhaka has to be triturated with the decoctions of chaturjata’s (twak, ela, patra, naga kesara). Then again it has to be triturated with other decoction and fresh juice separately. Once the trituration is completed sugar candy is added and mixed well. Then this mixture is rolled out a pill form or can be capsuled are stored in an airtight glass vessel for use.
Indications of Gandhaka Rasayana
- Virya Pushti – Increases virility
- Druda Deha – Makes body strong
- Druda Agni – Makes digestive fire strong
- Kandu Hara – Cures itching
- Kustha Hara – Cures all skin diseases
- Ugra vishadosha jaya – Cures potent poisoning
- Ghoratisara – Cures severe diarrhea/dysenrtry
- Grahani – Cures Irritable bowel syndrome and other disorders of intestines
- Hareccha raktam druda shoola yukta – Stops painful bleeding
- Jeerna Jwara – Cures chronic fevers
- Meha gana – Cures all types of diabetes
- Vatamaya – Cures all types of Vata diseases
- Prajakaram – Cures infertility
- Kesha krishneekarana – Causes blacking of hairs
- Soma roga – Cures excessive white discharge (gynecological disorder)
- Mushka vriddi – Cures enlargement of testicles
- Sakala roga hareth – Cures all diseases
- Mruta sadrusha naraanaam pranado – Gives life to the one who is in deathbed
- Dheerghayukara – Increases lifespan
- Dustha Udara – Cures abdominal enlargements
- Sannipata rogahara – Curess all types of sannipajataja diseases
- Rajayakshma – Cures Tuberculosis
- Kshaya – Cures depletive disorders
- Shwasa – Cures breathing difficulties like Asthma
- Arsha – cures Piles/Haemorrhoids
Gandhakaraja Rasayanam Mode of use, Dosage, and Adjuvants
Gandhakaraja Rasayanam is generally advised 10 to 15 g for adults and 5 to 10 g for children or as directed by the Physician. It can be given before or after the food according to the condition. It can also be given frequently in divided doses.
There is one more variety of Gandhaka Rasayana preparation explained by Sahasrayoga text with few changes in its ingredients which is also available in the market from Kerala Ayurveda pharmaceutical companies.
Ingredients of Gandhaka Rasayana
- Shuddha Gandhaka Choorna (purified Sulphur powder) – 6 palas (288gms)
- Chita Tandula/Vidanga – 3 palas(144 gms)
- Shunti (Zingiber officinale) – 6 nishka (24 gms)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 6 nishka (24 gms)
- Vaidehi/Pippali – 6 nishka (24 gms)
1. Twak (Cinnamum zeylanicum) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
2. Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
3. Patra (Cinnamomum tamala)- 4 nishka (16 gms)
1. Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
2. Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
3. Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
- Rasna (Alpinia galanga) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
- Bakuchi (Cullen corylifolium) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
- Bhringaraja (Eclipta prostrate) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
- Loha bhasma (incinerated iron) – 4 nishka (16 gms)
Preparation of Gandhaka Rasayana
All the above-said ingredients are taken together and crushed and made powder individually. Then all the powders are mixed together along with a sufficient quantity of ghee, honey, and jaggery. When it attains a homogeneous mixture in a semisolid state pill is rolled out and dried in shade. When the pills are dried properly it should be stored in an airtight glass container for use.
Indication of Gandhaka Rasayana
- Dheergayukara – Increases lifespan.
- Bala – Increases strength/
- Divya drishti – Attains the best vision.
- Divya dehi – Attains good body.
- Yogi – One attains the qualities of the yogi.
- Sthirata – Gives stability.
- Ashtadasha kustha hara – Cures all types of skin diseases.
- Panchavidha Gulma hara – Cures abdominal tumors.
- Arsha hara – Cures piles/hemorrhoids.
- Panduroga hara – Cures anemia.
Mode of use, Dosage, and Adjuvants
According to texts, it is administered internally in a dose of 1 Aksha (12 gms).
Milk diet is advised after the digestion of medicine.
Need to avoid sour and salt during the course of treatment.(one mandala – 48 days)
- Yogaratnakara Rasayanadhikara
Also, check Gandhak Vati