Rasnadi Choornam – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Rasnadi Choornam or Rasnadi Churna is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of powder. It is used as an external application to treat conditions like sannipataja jwara (variety of fever), headaches, rhinitis, etc… Rasnadi Choornam is also applied after every ayurvedic treatment as a preventive measure to balance the doshas. It is allied mixing with various other oils or juices like castor oil, jambeera swarasa, etc… as thalam (making a paste an applying on the vertex). Its also used as lepa in conditions such as sinusitis (applied in sinus area) or as choorna nasya (powder nasal medication).
Ingredients of Rasnadi Choornam
- Rasna (Alpinia galanga)
- Amukkura/Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Devadaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Katuka (Neopicrorhiza scrophulariiflora)
- Chennyaya ( Aloe vera)
- Chenchilya (Shorea robusta)
- Kottam (Saussurea costus)
- Vayambu (Acorus calamus)
- Gairika (Kaolinum)
- Nisa (Curcuma longa)
- Yashti (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Bala (Sida cordifolia)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Puti (Sterculia foetida)
- 18 Sahasravedhi/Hingu (Ferula asafoetida)
- Jalam (Plectranthus vettiveroides)
- Usira (Vetiveria zizanioides)
- Phenakam/Samudraphena (Sponge)
- Sreekhanda (Santalum album)
- Tintrinidalasira (Tamarindus indica)
Indications of Rasnadi Choornam
- Sannipataja jwara (variety of fever)
- Shirastoda (Headaches)
- Prtishyaya (Rhinitis)
Preparation of Rasnadi Choornam
All the above-said ingredients are taken together in equal quantity and crushed to make powder. Then the powder is sieved and stored for use.
Mode of Use and Dosage
It is used as an external application as nasya (nasal medication). pralepa (as a paste), Thalam (applied as a powder or paste form to the vertex).
Some of the medicines used along with Rasnadi Choornam are Eranda Thaila (castor oil), Jambeera Swarasa (Citrus limon), etc..
This is also used by the people who are getting recurrent cold after a head bath or suffering from sinusitis or sinus headache as an application making a paste on the sinus area or to the vertex.