Draksharishtam or Draksharishta is an Ayurvedic medicine used to treat various conditions like breathing difficulty, cold, cough, throat diseases. Draksharishtam is also used in general to improve strength. It also helps in proper formation and expulsion of stools.
Ingredients of Draksharishtam :
- Guda (Jaggery) – 9.6 kg
Decoction of dry grapes
- Dry grapes (Vitis vinifera) — 2.4 kg
- Water– 81.92 liters
- Twak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) – 48 g
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) – 48 g
- Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) – 48 g
- Nagakeshara (Mesua ferrea) – 48 g
- Priyangu (Callicarpa macrophylla)– 48 g
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 48 g
- Pippali (Piper longum)– 48 g
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes) – 48 g
- Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa) — 384 kg
50 pala’s (2.4kgs) of Daksha has to be mixed with 2 drona(81.92 liters) of water and boiled. The water has to be reduced to 1/4. The decoction is filtered and kept using a cloth. To this decoction, 9.6 kg Jaggery is added along with Twak, Ela, Patra, Nagakeshara, Priyangu, Maricha, Pippali, Vidanga, Dhataki (48gms each). This mixture is kept sealed in a ghee smeared vessel for one month. After one month this has to open and filtered again before start using.
Indications of Draksharishtam
- Urakshata – useful in chest injury
- Kshaya – tuberculosis, chronic respiratory diseases, weight loss
- Kasa – cold, cough
- Shwasa – Asthma
- Galamayan – throat infection/throat disorders
- Balakrut – improves strength
- Malashodhana – cleanses intestines.
Dosage: 15 to 30 ml.
- Sharangadhara Samhitha Madhyama Khanda 10/69-72