Ahiphenasava or Ahiphenasavam is an Ayurvedic alcoholic preparation which has been used for the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery and related disorders.
Ingredients of Ahiphenasava
- Madhuka Madya (Madhuca indica) – 4.8 liters
- Ahiphena (Papaver somniferum) – 192g
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus) – 48g
- Jatiphala (Myristica fragrans) -48g
- Indrayava (Holarrhena antidysenterica) -48g
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) -48g
Special Method of preparation
Madhuka flowers i.e flowers of Madhuca indica are fermented with water and the preparation got is called as madya. This is distilled and kept. To this, the fine powders of Musta, Jatiphala, Indrayava, and Ela are added and allowed to remain in a closed pot for a month. Then this mixture is filtered and used.
Classical therapeutic indications of Ahiphenasava
- Ugra Atisara (Severe Diarrhoea)
- Visucika (Gastroenteritis)
- Pravahika (Dysentery)
Dossage of Ahiphenasava : 5 – 10 drops
- Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Atisara Adhikara 7/168-170