Nellikka Arishtam or Nellikka Arishta is an ayurvedic alcoholic preparation. Nellikka is a Malayalam name for Amalaki/Dhatri (Emblica officinalis). Nellikka Arishtam is used in treating diseases like Jaundice, Anemia, heart diseases, Gout, irregular fever, Cough, hiccups, anorexia, Asthma or breathing difficulties etc….
Ingredients of Nellikka Arishtam:
Kwatha dravyas (materials for decoction)
- Nellikka/Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) – 2000 fruits
- Sharkara (Sugar candy) – 2.4 kg
- Madhu (Honey) – 1/8th of Amalaki swarasa (gooseberry juice)
Prakshepaka dravyas (powders to be added)
- Pippali (Piper longum) – 96 grams
Method of Preparation
2000 fruits of Nellikka/Amalaki should be crushed and their juice should be extracted. To this, Honey, Pippali, and sharkara should be added. It should be kept in a ghee smeared earthen jar for one fortnight. It should be taken in appropriate dose in the morning as directed by the physician.
Indications of Nellikka Arishtam:
- Kamala (Jaundice)
- Pandu (Anemia)
- Hrudroga (Heart diseases)
- Vata rakta (Gout)
- Vishama jwara (Irregular fever)
- Kasa (Cough)
- Hikka (Hiccups)
- Aruchi (Anorexia)
- Shwasa (Asthma)
Dose of Nellikka Arishtam:
- 15 – 30 ml or as directed by the physician.
- Charaka chikitsa 16/ 111-113 Pandu chikitsa