Elajamoja Rasayanam – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Elajamoja Rasayanam or Elajamoja Lehyam is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of jam. It is used in treating diabetes, abdominal tumors, depletive diseases, anemia, fistula etc.. It also boosts intelligence, great rejuvenator, improves eyesight, keeps healthy on regular consumption.
Ingredients of Elajamoja Rasayanam
Madhura Dravya (sweetening substances)
- Sita (Saccharum officinarum) – 30 pala (1.440 kgms)
- Madhu (Honey) – 2 prsatha (1.536 kgms)
- Ghruta – 1 prsatha (768gms)
Kashaya dravya (decoction material)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Ajamoja (Trachyspermum ammi) – 8 pala (384 gms)
1. Hareetaki (Terminalia chebula) – 8 pala (384 gms)
2. Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) – 8 pala (384 gms)
3. Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Saurashtri/hingu (Ferula asafoetida) – 8 pala (384 gms)
1. Shunti (Zingiber Officinalis) – 8 pala (384 gms)
2. Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 8 pala (384 gms)
3. Pippali (Piper longum) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Nimba sara (resin of Azadirachta indica) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Khadira (Acacia catechu) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Sala ( Shorea robusta) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Asana (Pterocarpus marsupium) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Shuddha Bhallataka (purified Semecarpus anacardium) – 8 pala (384 gms)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes) – 8 pala (384 gms)
Prakshepaka Dravya (powders to be added at last)
- Tugakshiri (Maranta arundinacea) – 6 pala (288 gms)
1. Twak (Cinnamum zeylanicum) – 1 pala (48 gms)
2. Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) – 1 pala (48 gms)
3. Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) – 1 pala (48 gms)
Preperation of Elajamoja Rasayanam
Eight pala of ela, ajamoda, triphala, saurashtri, vyosha, chitraka, nimba sara, gayatri, sala, bijaka, bhallataka and vidanga are boiled in sixteen times of water and the decoction is reduced to one sixteenth part. Then the decoction is filtered and kept.
To the decoction, one prastha of ghee is added and ghruta paka is done.
Once the ghruta preparation gets cooled six pala of tavakshiri, thirty pala of sugar, two prastha of honey and trijataka are added and mixed well. One it is stirred and mixed well it can be stored for the use.
Indication of Elajamoja Rasayanam
- Medhyam (improves intellect)
- Chakshushya (improves vision)
- Ayushyam (keeps healthy)
- Deepanam (increases digestive power)
- Meha (diabetes)
- Gulma (abdominal tumor)
- Kshaya (depletive disorders)
- Pandu (anemia)
- Bhagandhara (fistula)
Dosage and Adjuvant:
In general, it is advised 5 to 20 gms once or twice daily or as directed by the physician.
Milk is mentioned as an adjuvant along with lehyam. There is no much restriction related to diet and lifestyle during the consumption of this leham.
- Ashtanga Hrudaya, Rajayakshma Chikitsa – 5/28-32