Vyaghryadi Leham – Ingredients, Uses, and Dosage
Vyaghryadi Leham or Vyaghryadi Lehyam is an ayurvedic medicinal preparation in the form of jam. It is used in treating abdominal tumors, Gastro-intestinal disorders, acid peptic disease, cardiac diseases, piles, hemorrhoids, cough, breathing difficulty etc…
Ingredients of Vyaghryadi Leham
Kashaya Drvya (materials for decoction)
- Vyaghri/Kantakari (Solanum virginianum) – 1 Tula (4.800 kgms)
Kalka Dravya (paste material)
1. Shunti (Zingiber Officinalis) – 1 pala (48 gms)
2. Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 1 pala (48 gms)
3. Pippali (Piper longum) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Rasna (Alpinia galanga) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Amruta (Tinospora cordifolia) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Agni/Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Shringi (Galls on Pistacia Chinensis) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Bharngi (Rotheca serrata) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Ghana/Musta (Cyperus rotundus) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Granthika/Pippali mula (root of Pippali longum) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Dhanwayasa (Tragia involucrata) – 1 pala (48 gms)
- Sarpi (cows ghee) – 16 pala (768 gms)
- Shuddha Matsyandika (purified sugar candy) – 24 pala (1152 gms)
Prakshepaka Dravya (materials to be added at last)
- Pippali (Pippali longum) – 2 kudava (384 gms)
- Tuva Kshiri (Maranta arundinacea) – 2 kudava (384 gms)
- Makshika (old Honey) – 2 kudava (384 gms)
Preparation of Vyaghryadi Leham
One Tula of vyaghri is taken and crushed into pieces. This is added in one vaha (1 droni – 49.152 liters) of water and boiled to prepare the decoction. Once the water contented is reduced to one adakha it has to be filtered and kept.
To this decoction powders of vyosha, rasna, amruta, agni, shringi, bharngi, Ghana, granthika, and dhanwayasa are taken added one pala each.
Sixteen pala of ghee and twenty-four pala of purified matsayandika is added and heated until it attains a semisolid state. It should be stirred continuously. One it attains desired consistency it should be allowed to cool down.
Once its cooled two kudava of pippali, tavakshiri and honey are added and stirred well, then it can store and used.
Indications of Vyaghryadi Leham
- Gulma (abdominal tumors)
- Hrudroga (cardiac diseases)
- Durnama/Arshas (hemorrhoids/piles)
- Shwasa (breathing difficulty)
- Kasa (cough)
Dosage and Adjuvant:
In general, it is advised 10 to 20 gms once or twice per day or as directed by the physician.
Ashtanga Hrudaya, Chikitsa Sthana, Kasa Chikitsa – 3/63-67